The UK Communicative Development Inventory (UK-CDI)
The UK Communicative Development Inventory (UK-CDI) is a questionnaire that parents complete to tell us about their child’s language and communication. The UK-CDI will establish:
- the first comprehensive overview of UK children’s first stages in language development
- the first word learning norms for children aged 8 to 18 months across the whole of the UK
- a free-for-all, anonymised online child language base
- a quick, easy and inexpensive checklist that can be used by professionals to assess children’s language (first version of the checklist already available for download)
This is collaborative research between the Universities of Lancaster, Liverpool and Lincoln, funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
If you would like to use the UK-CDI for your research you can purchase the UK-CDI manual and questionnaires here.
- More information for researchers and practitioners about the UK-CDI
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the UK-CDI
If you need to contact the UK-CDI team, please email them on [email protected].