Watch the webinars
We have taken part in Pearson's #SLTLearn and #EducationLearn. Pearson has made the slides and recordings of these webinars available via their website, links below:
How children learn words and how we can support the early stages of language acquisition
Prof Padraic Monaghan
- Webinar no longer available. But you can hear Padraic talk about word learning here.
Painting a more detailed picture of children's early language development
Prof Julian Pine
- Recording (complete the registration details to be taken to the recording)
Comprehension and Elicitation Resources
Here are some comprehension and elicitation resources to support SLTs, taken from Prof Julian Pine's 2015 #SLTLearn webinar.
This checklist and accompanying animations can be used to test a child's understanding of passives:
- Passives Checklist (excel document)
- Passives Animations - This link takes you to dropbox. From here you must download the powerpoint presentation for the animations to work.
This test, using puppets, tests a child's understanding of Wh-questions:
- Wh-Questions test (excel document)
Third Person Singular
This checklist and accompanying animations can be used to test a child's understanding of 3rd person singular verb forms:
- Third Person Singular -S Marking Checklist (excel document)
- Third Person Singular -S Marking Animations - This link takes you to dropbox. From here you must download the powerpoint presentation for the animations to work.
This activity and accompanying animations tests a child's understanding of word order using novel verbs. It can also be used to check a child's understanding of passives.
- Word Order with Novel Verb Activity Sheet (excel document)
- Videos to accompany this task - This link take you to YouTube where you can view and/or download the animations.
Past Tense Verbs
There are also resources available to elicit PAST TENSE VERBS from a separate ESRC-funded project led by Dr Anna Theakston.
If you have any problems accessing any of these files, please contact our Centre Manager, Helen Allwood, who will be happy to help you.