Talks from LuCiD's 3rd Language and Communicative Development Conference
Below are some of the slides from talks given at our 3rd Annual Language and Communicative Development Conference, held on 6-7 July 2017 in Lancaster. You can also view the full programme or the abstract book for further information.
Session 1: Syntax and Grammatical Categories
- Cross-linguistic learning of word classes from distributional information - Daniel Freudenthal et al.
Session 2: Verbs
- Predicting errors in children's production of verb morphology: evidence from person/number marking in Finnish and Polish - email Sonia Granlund and Joanna Kolak for a copy of the slides.
- Model of verb acquisition in Finnish and Polish children - Felix Engelmann et al.
Session 3: Caregiver Input
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a reading for pleasure intervention: A randomised control trial - Jamie Lingwood et al.
- Does caregiver input influence children's early acquisition of modality? - Kimberley Bell et al.
- How do preschool staff communicate with children with English as an additional language? - Jacky Chan
Session 4: Speech
- Gestalt auditory principles support phrase structure parsing - Tony Trotter
- Investigating predictors of individual differences in productive vocabulary and their ability to identify late talking toddlers - Lana Jago
Session 5: Actions and Words
- The importance of nonlinguistic variability to early language learning: the case of colour - Katie Twomey
Session 6: Complex Constructions
- The role of information structure in children's comprehension of complex sentences - testing two hypotheses - Laura de Ruiter
- "Let's lie down because I'm tired of Apple because I'm poorly (be)cause I need to lie down": the influence of pragmatics on children's acquisition of complex causal sentences - Heather Lemen