Language Development Short Talks
Watch our researchers answering key questions about language development and about LuCiD
All of our recorded seminars can be viewed here.
- Painting a more detailed picture of children's early language development - recording (free registration required) | slides
- How children learn words and how we can support the early stages of language acquisition - recording (free registration required) | slides
- Communication Interventions for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: iPads and Pictures - recording (free registration required)
Early Years Interventions and Evaluation
- VIDEO: Evaluating interventions - this training video covers how interventions work, why it is important to evaluate interventions and describes a 'gold standard' kind of evaluation known as a Randomised Controlled Trial (RCT)
- VIDEO: The Importance of the Early Years - this presentation outlines why the early years are so important for children's development and their later outcomes. It explains how research can help and how you can access this research.
Nursery World Magazine
English & Media Centre eMagazine
- From signing to ‘sensory’: can trendy baby classes really boost a child’s development?
- How we showed ‘sleeping on it’ really is the best way to solve a problem
- What is going on in your brain when you sleep?
- Watching TV can actually be good for toddlers
- What grammar gurus don't get about how we learn
- Talking to your babies could help them do better at school
- How can parents influence their children's language development?
- How does shared book-reading help boost child language development in the early years?
- Myths and misconceptions about language development in multilingual children
- Social disadvantage and language delay
- The impact of baby sign on infants and their parents: A short evidence briefing for parents, early years practitioners and policy makers
- Reading and language development
- How do children learn language?
- How do children learn words and how does their environment affect language learning?
- Baby gestures
Materials for SLTs
ESOL Stepping Stones
- search our outputs database for research publications, abstracts and presentations